Monday 12 May 2014

Photos: Meet Pregnant Woman Who Was Weightlifting 2 Days Before Giving Birth

Superfit Meghan Umphres Leatherman shows she can still lift 215lb weights, despite being nine months pregnant
Throughout her pregnancy, Meghan Umphres Leatherman, from Arizona, went to the gym four times a week to do her grueling CrossFit regime, which combines weightlifting, gymnastics and cardio activities. She also walked her dog three miles a day and went on a four-mile hike through the mountains every week. The 33-year-old was lifting weights up until two days before her due date, when she was 1cm dilated.  More pictures after the cut..

Fighting fit: Meghan Umphres Leatherman, pictured here at nine months pregnant and dilated to 1cm
She was so dedicated to her grueling CrossFit regime – which combines weightlifting, gymnastics and cardio activities – that she even lifted weights on the day she went into labour and broke records in the final days of pregnancy. As well as going to the gym four times a week, Meghan continued to walk her dog for three miles a day and go on a four-mile hike through the mountains every week.
Mother-to-be Meghan, pictured here before giving birth, continued her CrossFit fitness regime - which combines weightlifting, gymnastics and cardio activities - throughout her pregnancy
But far from doing herself or her first baby damage, Meghan, a marketing and communications consultant, insists they’re both healthier for it and her pregnancy was actually easier. Now she is settling in to life as a mum after giving birth to 6 lb, 11 oz daughter, Florence Germaine. on 3rd May. But she expects to be back at the gym again in just three weeks.
Power couple: Meghan, left, with husband Chad, right, who is also a CrossFit trainer, days before she gave birth to their daughter
Meghan, left, with husband Chad, right, who is also a CrossFit trainer, days before she gave birth to their daughter
It fitted with my personality. It’s a challenge. I like to try and work with others in a community and getting the motivation to be stronger and fitter and better. ‘I didn’t lose that motivation just because I was pregnant.’ Muscly Meghan, who has ran a marathon and eight half marathons in the last four years, says that lifting weights has staved off morning sickness. ‘I was never sick at all,’ she said. ‘There were times I just need to go in and lift when hormones are running a little stronger than I’m used to. ‘To go in and be extra physical kept me focused and thankful and gave me a feeling of empowerment. ‘I never considered giving up. My family gave me a hard time early on, but I reassured them that my doctor’s said it was OK.
Just born: New mother Meghan holds her daughter Florence Germaine, who was born on 3rd May
It made me feel good so why stop?’ Meghan says her pregnancy hormones actually made it easier for her to lift weights – and she was even recording new records during the 40th week. Three days before her due date, Meghan set new personal records, lifting 215lb deadlifts. She was also doing 110lb push presses and 165lb squats and saw her energy levels and strength soar as her due date grew nearer. Weightlifting in pregnancy has come under harsh criticism in recent months after fellow American Lea-Ann Ellison was photographed pumping iron at eight and a half months. But Meghan says she finds criticism of pregnant CrossFit amusing, and says that doctors have encouraged her to be active.
Happy familiy: Chad and Meghan Umphres Leatherman with their baby daughter Florence 'Florrie' Germaine
She said: ‘My doctors have been incredibly supportive of what I’m doing. They were thrilled that I was setting personal records with weight lifting and they told me to keep active and hydrated.’ Meghan and, Chad are both qualified CrossFit coaches, and although Chad supports his wife, he did initially find it difficult to watch. Meghan has also been supported by her coach, who she says she, ‘shocked every week,’ with her growing strength, and has been called an inspiration by other women at the gym. ‘If I’d had heart problems or my blood pressure was up or anything that would indicate a problem for the baby I’d obviously have done something different,’ said Meghan.
Chad and Meghan prepare for the birth of their daughter
‘If I’d had heart problems or my blood pressure was up or anything that would indicate a problem for the baby I’d obviously have done something different,’ said Meghan. ‘But I think it only made me healthier and better prepared.’ Florence, nicknamed ‘Florie’ was born after four hours of contractions.  ‘I had an easy birth thanks to CrossFit,’ says Meghan. ‘I pushed for less than 20 minutes to welcome her to the world. ‘A woman shouldn’t be criticised for trying to stay active and healthy. This helped me have an easier pregnancy and delivery. ‘I think women should embrace pregnancy and not use it as an excuse to get lazy.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:*Atinuke does NOT own any other blog/website apart from www.missatinuke.blogspot.com
*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by Atinuke.
*Miss Atinuke's Blog readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post on missatinuke.blogspot.com
Kindly Drop Your Comments! Thank You!